Saturday, August 30, 2014

""I Remember it Well"


I Remember It Well!

 

This is the week I decided to write about memory. And I had the perfect title for it too. It was the famous song that “what’s his name” sang to “what’s her name” in the movie, “what do you call it”. I saw the movie when it first came out and was enamored by the sentiment. The only thing I had to do now was to remember the names. The title of the song came to me automatically, but the rest was roamin’ around somewheres in my brain.

Before that, I turned the coffee on for a nice fresh cup first thing in the mornin’. Yeah, right. The pot puffed an’ steamed and then went silent. What the . . . there was no water in the reservoir! How in the world . . . . I always make the coffee the night before so that all I have to do in the mornin’ is to push a button so it’s ready when I come in from my mornin’ smoke. Well the coffee was there all right, but the reservoir was dry. There was no evidence of leakage, so I have to assume I didn’t do the water thing.

An’ that’s not all neither. Last night I get a call from my sister. Can I take her to the hospital tomorrow for her blood tests? Sure, no problem. I get out my day timer an’ turn to Tuesday. “No, no,” she says, “tomorrow’s Wednesday.”

“What?” I’m startled. “Where’d Monday go?”

“That was yesterday,” she chuckles at my misplacin’ a whole day. Not funny.

What would we do without Wikipedia? (or Encyclopedia Britannica for us old timers). Soon as I type in the song title, it comes up with “what’s his name” bein’ Maurice Chevalier an’ “what’s her name” bein’ Hermione Gingold, an’ the movie bein’ “Gigi”.

Well I knew that for heaven’s sakes! I seen the movie after all. That was back in 1958 – not THAT long ago. Well okay, maybe it was but pieces of it are still fresh in my mind. There’s no gol dang reason there should be so many pieces missin’ in my head files. They’re not actually missin’, just misplaced. Well I suppose when you consider all the junk that’s crammed in there by this time in my life, misplacin’ a file or two won’t upset me that much. It ain’t that big a deal. At least that’s how it seems to me from up here on the top shelf.

Just sayin’.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment