Saturday, March 21, 2015

Ghosts in our House


Ghosts in our House

 

I haven’t believed in ghosts since I was seven years old. No really, REALLY I haven’t. That is to say, I haven’t believed in ghosts until recently. But I’m startin’ to have some sneaky suspicions about their very existence. No, no, I haven’t lost my marbles. I still got the whole bag full. But there’s weird things goin’ on round our house these days. I think some o’ them buggers musta moved in to our place. They seem to be hidin’ in the mirrors, I noticed. At least that’s the only place I see ‘em walkin’ by. I hunted ‘em in the closets, under the bed an’ the furniture, but couldn’t find ‘em or any tell-tale signs o’ them havin’ been there.

For all I know, these ghosts (I don’t know how many there are) have been around forever. I just never noticed ‘em before. But lately they been appearin’ more an’ more often, an’ always in a mirror. Soon as they get past it, they become invisible again. I know ‘cause we got mirrors all over the place – in the bedroom, in the hall an’ in the bathroom. It’s got so I don’t even look in the mirror no more, an’ yet, I see ‘em outa the corner of my eye.

For the longest time I didn’t say nothin’ to the missus about it, thinkin’ it was just a part o’ my imagination. I didn’t want to look like an idiot in her eyes. Finally I couldn’t stand it no more so I sat down with her to have a chat about it. She obviously didn’t want to talk about it. “Idiot” was all she would say. I hate them one word answers. You just don’t get any chance for serious dissertations. Well, I let it go, thinkin’ she must be in denial. Either she don’t see them ghosts, or she’s afraid to acknowledge their existence. Could be either one  o’ them reasons since she just went an’ got her eyes tested.

Well I ain’t gonna admit that they scare the pants off me, at least not out loud, just in case they can hear too. I wouldn’t want ‘em to get the upper hand. But I’m here to tell you, they are spooky. I sure wish the missus could see ‘em too. She’d get an awful surprise. There might be only just one although I seen him the other day in my side mirror in the car. He’s a really old, sad guy, all stooped over, gray an’ wrinkled. He looks a lot like I’m gonna look someday when I get a lot older. But that’s quite a ways down the road. There’s no way I feel that decrepit or even look like that poor broken down ol’ geyser. At least that’s how it seems to me from up here on the top shelf.

Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment