Saturday, January 23, 2016

An Analogy


An Analogy

There are passages in "Earth Child and the Dream Cloud" that are literally an analogy to real life. I've been thinking about that a lot lately in light of the refugee situation today. I don't remember what I was musing about when I wrote it. Perhaps it was the refugees in the nineteen twenties fleeing Russia, or maybe the struggles of young people trying to make their way in life today. Whatever it was, it keeps coming back to me. Here is a little excerpt describing the dream cloud descending over Earth Child's spirit, protecting it as he wrestles with the slings and arrows of daily life:

"Still in his dream, Earth Child came to realize that this was his Dream Cloud. This was what sheltered him from all the harshness in the world around him. As long as he kept it and his life’s dreams close, anything that Wind blew at him fell harmlessly at his feet. It was only when he forgot about his dreams that Dream Cloud moved away. Then he was exposed and vulnerable. Yes, this was his Dream Cloud.

"Earth Child awoke from his deep sleep. It was calm all around him. He discovered that he had blindly run in to an old tree stump when he had fallen. Before he got to his feet he examined his body and the scars and bruises on it. To his surprise they were starting to heal. It must be Dream Cloud. He realized that so long as he did not let go of his life’s dreams, the hurts and bruises he received in following them would heal and nothing could destroy his spirit."

This story paints a picture of what real life can be like and certainly transposes itself into reality if you think about it a little bit. I'm imagining people fleeing the bombs, the sniper fire, the starvation and the poisonous gases in their homeland, about the governmental bureaucracies that throw one stone after the other in our paths as we try to go forward. Even the mundane issues of everyday living that cause bumps on the path to our future can cause us to stop dreaming about our destinies, . . . . .  . . . which in turn, reminds me of "The Journey", another story in my Truth Seeker book that quotes the human spirit in a moment of realization: "It was very difficult to find the things I had hidden away for such a long time. But one by one, as I climbed slowly up the fourth hill into old age, I gathered them to me. My path became straight and wide and I walked at last with dignity toward its end."

We are hopeful that this is how our days will end, having fought the good fight against the slings and arrows of life. But we must hold on to our dreams, lest they go astray or be destroyed in the tumult of life itself. At least that's how it seems to me from up here on the top shelf.

Just sayin'.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment