Saturday, November 26, 2016

Weather

Weather
I have to try to remember the passage from “The Song of Hiawatha” that was so much more picturesque than what we view in real life – or the Rankin Inlet Journal that is a favorite of Leon’s and Lori’s up in Thompson, MB. But I must admit, the beginning of each season presents its own bit of majesty (at least at it’s ushering in). It has nothing to do with the calendar on the wall, it only has to do with what is happening in the moment, wherever it is happening.
As I drew the curtains back this morning I was shocked to see that the world was white; clean as it were, and pure as it had ever been. It’s always been like that, at least for the eighty – odd years I’ve been around. It seems, the world has its own agenda. It has nothing to do with man-made calendars at all. Of course, we have to immediately compensate for the change in the weather to suit our own conditions and the first thing you know, it all gets dirty again. Cars over compensating for slippery roads, spraying the watery snow on to the boulevards, and voila, everything is grungy again – humanized as it were. In fact, when I was having my afternoon nap I was awakened by a rumbling outside. Turns out there was a big front end loader clearing off the approach to our underground garage, of the twenty-four snowflakes lying there. It probably had more to do with economics than with clearing the driveway.
Sure enough, when I went out this morning to re-teach my car about winter driving there wasn’t a slippery patch on the road at all. There was just dirty water splashed all over the boulevards and the streets looked all dirty and dingy. But it won’t be long before all the side streets and lanes are etched with deep ruts, and the boulevards piled high with dirty snow and the rubbish that was under it. Thinking about it that way makes me long for the end of February when what was once a nice clean blanket of snow melts away to reveal the dirt it covered up and new plants and grass can mark a new beginning for humanity. At least that’s how it seems to me from up here on the top shelf.

Just sayin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment