Saturday, February 10, 2018

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire - A Bizarre Adventure


A Bizarre Adventure
One day I got a call from a fellow looking for a country property in my area of business. He was looking for a house on acreage. He had some pretty specific requirements. Firstly, it should be a spacious house and garage. Secondly, it should be as far as possible from a school so his children would be picked up first and delivered home last in the day. Well that was an odd request and I laughed, being sure he was joking. He wasn’t.
It turns out he and his wife were running the general store just east of the Teulon turn off on Highway 8, just north of Clandeboye, which they had turned into a Gulf Oil bulk dealership. It was the old Carter’s General Store where my folks had shopped at back in the day when it had been a country store. So that established an immediate kinship and I put a considerable effort into finding something. And find it I did. By blind luck I discovered a large, rambling vacant property almost made to order. The place had been vacant for some six months or so and the owner was anxious to sell, so we went in and had a look. The place more or less met their needs and he said to me, “Let us think about it.”
Well he obviously didn’t have to think too long because the very next morning he called me at about nine o’clock, saying he wanted to make an offer. But there were conditions he didn’t think I could meet.
“Well, try me,” I said confidently. The main condition was that he needed possession that very day by 6:00 p.m. – actual physical possession. He would pack up everything from the store and move it into the house at six o’clock. They didn’t have that much stuff anyway and his wife was very efficient, he said. I don’t quite remember all the flurry of putting this altogether or even the selling agent’s name, but somehow it all went together and by six p.m. the buyers were in the house. Fortunately we got to dump all the legal issues on the lawyers and go on with our business.
That was more or less the end of the affair except for a couple of footnotes. I guess when Gulf Oil went to check the tanks on possession of the sale; they found a considerable discrepancy between what was there and what was recorded. I didn’t know much about it because I hadn’t been involved in that end of the property sale. Quite frankly, the less I knew about it, the better I liked it. I didn’t bother to visit my buyers or even call them on the phone. There’s a time when you have to cut bait and move on. This was it. I desperately wanted to find some NICE people to do business with. Not that I didn’t make a good living from the Sicilian mafia or the drug induced crazies or the mortgage defaulters, but it was getting a bit much for me. It seemed that was all I was running in to. It was time to take stock of the direction of my real estate career and reset my GPS system toward that kind of clientele. Surely there must be some decent home buyers and sellers around. I would focus on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment